School Program, May 25 - June 3
Hillhacks collaborates with the local schools and colleges to make learning an interactive, hands-on, fun experience. Share your knowledge with a new generation of hackers and makers.
- Dates: May 25-June 3 - Lead: Tink - Venue: Primary, secondary and tertiary schools around Dharmsala
Proposed workshops for 2015. Some of the lesson plans are available.
Science & Math
Appropriate grade levels as noted PRIMARY & MIDDLE - Sound & Wave (Praveen Patil) - Starting with Ciphers & Codes (Tink) - Solving the Rubik's Cube (Aruna) - Magnets & Electricity (Praveen Patil) SECONDARY & BEYOND - Codes & Ciphers (Tink) - Diceware Passphrases (Tink) - Internet of Things (Ujjwal Thaakar) - ExpEyes science lab (Praveen Patil) - Web Crawler (Gaurav) - Fabcode Visual Programing Language for Digital Fabrication (Harshit Agrawal & Prabhat Kumar) - 3D Printing & Why Does It Matter (Paola) - Technologies and Sustainability (Paola) - What is Open Source (Paola)
Arts & Performance
Suitable for primary and up
- Audiobooks & Radio Recordings (Tink) - Circus Hour (Tink) - Light & Shadow Interaction (Aruna) - Creating Characters (Tink)
Suitable for all ages. We hope to create a showcase stage during the conference based on the following workshops. The sessions will develop multiple short acts and the backstage theatre arts to make the gala show. Participating in the Gala Show requires the students to travel to Shiv Shakti for the performance. We'll work out a convenient time and day for everyone.
- reading and acting a play - art of rehearsing - building circus performance (Tink) - choreographing a dance - prop & set making (Tink) - costuming - foley & sfx recording (Tink)
- Woodwhistlers in Naddi - Tibetan Children's Village visiting from Selakui - Aavishkaar in Palampur - Shanti Om School in Baggsu - Rakkar School in Rakkar - Nishtha in Rakkar
[plans may change; check with Tink for details]
Thu 21 May: Shanti Om (13:00 - 15:00) Fri 22 May: Woodwhistlers (10:00 - 16:00) Fri 22 May: Shanti Om (13:00 - 15:00) Sun 24 May: Team Meeting Mon 25 May: Woodwhistlers (10:00 - 15:00) Tue 26 May: Shanti Om (10:00 - 15:00) Wed 27 May: Shanti Om (10:00 - 15:00) Thu 28 May: Woodwhistlers (10:00 - 15:00) Fri 29 May: Team Meeting Sun 31 May: Aavishkaar (tbd) Mon 01 Jun: TCV Selakui (10:00 - 16:00) Tue 02 Jun: TCV Selakui (10:00 - 16:00) Tue 02 Jun: Rakkar School (10:00 - 16:00) Tue 02 Jun: Nishtha (15:00 - 17:00) Wed 03 Jun: TCV Selakui (10:00 - 16:00) Wed 03 Jun: Woodwhistlers (morning showtime) Thu 04 Jun: TCV Selakui (10:00 - 16:00) Fri 05 Jun: TCV Selakui (10:00 - 16:00)
All of our instructors are volunteers from a variety of backgrounds.
- Tink: a circus performer and instructor based in Tokyo. She is organising the program and has a degree in elementary education.
If you would to teach a class, or are a school who would enjoy visiting teachers, please contact Tink
We want to be sure, as much as we can, that our classes have the positive effects we desire. Please see the School Program Evaluation page for more details on how we can evaluate the impact of our classes and understand how to improve them in future.